Friday, December 15, 2017

Advent Challenge 2017 Day 15 - Nourish



Write about what it means to nourish your own soul or the soul of someone else


I wasn’t sure what to write for this topic. I mean this time of year we certainly nourish our bellies more than we need to but what does it mean to nourish one’s soul? What does “Nourish” really mean? Synonyms for nourish include: feed, provide for, sustain, maintain, enhance, cherish, nurture, foster, harbor, etc. So ignoring the ‘feed’ part, what can I do to provide for, sustain, maintain, cherish, nurture, etc myself or another person.

I pondered this for a bit, pondered what do I do that provides for my soul, for my heart? Likewise what do I do that helps to sustain and maintain it, to cherish and nurture it? And do I do this for anyone else?
In this season of memories, of emotions, of times of struggle with both of those, what do I do to nurture my soul? Well obviously I write. And what do I write about, what is the general reason I write or the focus of my writing? Well that’s simple...the reason is to keep myself focused on the positives while exploring some of those emotions. The focus...often it’s what I’ve learned from this journey and where the journey has taken me.




I open my heart all the time...and often hear from friends how much they appreciate my honesty. I also share from the heart about many different things but most especially about the journey that we took with our twins. Sometimes that sharing can get kind of messy and emotional but I can honestly say that I have never regretted opening my heart how about my boys to other people. Being able to share how my life has changed, being able to share all that we've done because we knew and loved Cole definitely nourishes my soul. But it's not just sharing that nourishes is it but the actual actions themselves. Doing what we do for our fundraiser is a definite part of that. Another large part is being involved in the support groups that I am on Facebook, messaging or texting the moms I’ve connected with from far and wide and allowing them to have a place to talk, to vent, to grief. Being there for others is definitely nourishing to my soul. And that makes me think about how I nourish others. Perhaps that is what I can do to nourish other people’s souls... just keep sharing. Pretty great that you can nourish yourself and others all at the same time and all by just opening your heart, being honest, being supportive, and just loving on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment